Recipe in Finnish / Resepti suomeksi
This recipe goes back to 1995 and to London, Putney, where I spent a year as an au pair. The family threw a party and this ice cream was made as dessert. I was gobsmacked how good this homemade ice cream was and of course asked for the recipe. I have made this ice cream countless of times and we are all crazy about it. But a word of warning: it is a calorie bomb and doesn’t contain a single healthy ingredient.
This crunchie ice cream is pretty simple to make and no fancy ingredients or equipment are needed. This ice cream has a lovely soft, silky-like, consistency and a creamy toffee-like flavour. So, what is there not to like?! I am yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like this. It is a good one to make when you want to impress your guests!
Crunchie Ice Cream
- 500 ml whipping cream (1 pint)
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate
- 1 tin condensed milk
- Melt sugar and syrup in a pan. Boil for 4 minutes mixing it every once in a while.
- Remove from heat, add the bicarbonate and stir.
- Pour the mixture on a (baking) tray or cutting board covered with baking parchment. Leave to set. Break into small pieces.
- HINT: I break it in a freezer bag and break it with a rolling pin into very small pieces. It is good to have a kitchen towel between the plastic bag and the rolling pin as plastic breaks easily because of the sharpness of the crunchie bits.
- Whip the cream and fold in the condensed milk and crunch.
- Pour into a container and freeze overnight.
Leave a Reply