Recipe in Finnish / Resepti suomeksi
I was once again looking for quick meal inspiration on the internet and came across Nigella Lawson’s Gemelli With Anchovies recipe. The recipe sounded interesting and especially the anchovies! I haven’t cooked anything with anchovies before and I don’t think the children have ever had anchovies before this either. I decided to be “brave” and gave the recipe a go. Well, the whole family enjoyed it and the recipe became a part of our, if not weekly, at least monthly staples. It is our youngest who keeps asking for this one!
The original recipe has dry vermouth and mascarpone in it. I never have vermouth in my pantry and prefer creme fraiche to mascarpone in this recipe. So here is the way I make anchovy pasta.
This is a fairly large recipe that feeds our family of 5. So if are you cooking for a smaller crew you can half the ingredients.
- 400-500 g pasta (penne or fusilli)
- 1 onion
- 1 glove garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 80 g anchovy fillets
- 500 g cherry or small plum tomatoes
- 400 g creme fraiche or soured cream
- 1 bunch parsley
- parmesan cheese
- Start cooking the pasta according to the instructions in the packet. While it's cooking prepare your sauce.
- Chop the onion and garlic. Add oil to a pan and sauté the garlic and onion in the pan until they are soft.
- Add the anchovies and keep mixing on a medium heat until they have dissolved into the oil and onion mixture.
- Add the tomatoes and keep stirring once in a while until they start to soften. You can also close the pan with a lid and leave everything simmer for a little while. This way the tomatoes soften little quicker.
- Remember to check on the pasta! You don't want it over done. Once it is al dente drain it and leave it to the side.
- Once the tomatoes are soft in your pan, add the creme fraiche and mix it in.
- Combine the pasta and the sauce. Add parsley, mix and sprinkle with parmesan.
Leave a Reply