Recipe in Finnish / Resepti suomeksi
This cheese cake is so simple to make and it’s a little lighter than normal baked cheese cake. It is also egg free. The eggs are replaced with potato starch and that does the trick of thickening the filling. If you are not able to find potato starch, you can easily replace it with corn starch.
Lime and vanilla give this cheese cake that extra freshness and it is not too sweet. That is how we like it but do give the filling a taste once you have mixed it up and see if you would like to add some sugar for more sweetness.
Decorate the cheese cake with what ever is the season and what you like. I love using fresh berries. Passion fruit works well for Easter decoration due to its yellow colour and is pretty too when sprinkled nicely.
I recommend that you make the cheese cake the day before you want to serve it. The texture and flavour just settles so nicely over night in the fridge.
Simple Bake Cheese Cake (GF, egg free)
- 200 g oat or divestive type biscuits (gluten free if desired)
- 75-80 g butter or margarine
- 200 g cream cheese natural flavour
- 1 kg quark or Turkish yoghurt natural flavour
- 1 lime
- 125 g caster sugar (150 ml)
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- Start by melting the butter or margarine. Let it cool a little if it's hot.
- Line a spring form cake tin with baking parchment. Make strips from the baking parchment to cover the edges too. I used a tin 24 cm in diameter (ø 24 cm).
- Place the biscuits into a food processor and mix until you have a fine crumble. Pour the melted butter in with the crumble and mix until combined. Press the mixture evenly into the cake tin to form the base.
- Zest and squeeze the lime. You need both the zest and juice for the filling. Mix all the filling ingredients into a smooth mixture. Electrical hand mixer works well for this.
- Pour the mixture on top of the biscuit base. Bake at 175 C for 20 minutes. Then reduce heat to 150 C and bake another 20-25 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely and then place in the fridge overnight. Carefully remove the cake from the spring form and transfer onto a serving tray. Decorate.